Maybe this shouldn’t bother me, but it makes me a…
LOS ANGELES – (April 3, 2014) – Red Bull Global Rallycross kicked off the 2014 season Wednesday by introducing a new look at its first-ever media day at the Port of Los Angeles. The race series, which kicks off in Barbados next month, also announced significant partnerships with both new and returning partners.
Key announcements from the media day also included:
- NBC: Gary Quinn, VP of Programming and Owned Properties for NBC Sports Group, announced the series’ two-year television deal with NBC Sports Group, beginning with the 2014 season. Nine Red Bull Global Rallycross events will be broadcast on NBC, with rebroadcasts taking place on the NBC Sports Network. All content will also be streamed via NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets.
- Yokohama Tire Corporation: Andrew Briggs, Director of Marketing and Product Planning for Yokohama, announced the brand will be the Red Bull Global Rallycross exclusive tire supplier and keep the competitors racing on specially designed Yokohama ADVAN® race tires.
- Volkswagen Rallycross DC: Tim Mayer, General Manager of Andretti Sports Marketing, announced that Volkswagen and ASM have joined forces to bring motorsports back to DC. The Red Bull Global Rallycross race on June 21 and 22 will be held at RFK Stadium, and will offer an exceptionally challenging track keeping drivers and fans alike on the edge of their seats.
- Royal Purple: Randy Fisher, Marketing Director of Royal Purple, discussed the brand’s commitment to the race series and unveiled a brand new Royal Purple livery for returning Supercar driver Steve Arpin.
- Barracuda Racing: Former NASCAR K&N Pro Series Rookie of the Year Austin Dyne will move from GRC Lites to Supercars this season in the No. 14 Barracuda Racing Ford Fiesta powered by OMSE in partnership with Bryan Herta Racing.
- GO PUCK/Nightrain Global Rallycross Team: 15-year-old Mazda Road to Indy veteran Austin Cindric and former Pikes Peak International Hill Climb class winner Blake Fuller have teamed up to share a car for the 2014 GRC Lites season.
- United States Auto Club (USAC): Red Bull Global Rallycross has signed an agreement with the United States Auto Club, which will sanction all 10 events of the 2014 season.
Media in attendance experienced Supercar and Lites car ride-alongs in the center of the Port of Los Angeles. The event included Red Bull Global Rallycross drivers, partners and teams as well as Los Angeles city councilman Joe Buscaino showing his support for the exciting series and upcoming Los Angeles race on September 20.
“We are thrilled to welcome back many of our seasoned partners as well as open the door to those who are new to our series as we all work toward a unified vision for this year,” said Red Bull Global Rallycross CEO Colin Dyne. “Joining the NBC family brings a level of exposure to everyone involved that’s not only huge for existing motorsports fans but also helps grow the Red Bull Global Rallycross sport to a new audience and establish the brand’s next chapter.”
The 2014 Red Bull Global Rallycross broadcast schedule is as follows:
- Top Gear Festival Barbados: Saturday, May 24 (tape delay), 1PM ET, NBC
- X Games Austin: Saturday, June 7 (live), ESPN
- Washington, DC: Sunday, June 22 (live), 2PM ET, NBC
- New York, NY: Sunday, July 20 (live), 2PM ET, NBC
- Charlotte, NC: Saturday, July 26 (live), 2PM ET, NBC
- Detroit, MI: Sunday, August 3 (live), 2PM ET, NBC
- Daytona, FL: Saturday, August 23 (live), 3:30PM ET, NBC
- Los Angeles, CA: Saturday, September 20 (live), 5PM ET, NBC
- Seattle, WA: Sunday, September 28 (tape delay), 2:30PM ET, NBC
- Las Vegas, NV: Sunday, November 16 (tape delay), 2PM ET, NBC
Additional photos from media day can be found here: GRC Media Day
Photo credit: Alison Padron