If you missed the Day 10 update, you can catch…
Scott Speed reclaimed the title of winningest driver in Red Bull Global Rallycross history by sweeping both main events of Red Bull GRC Los Angeles presented by Subaru Tecnica International. After leading the first 1-2 finish in Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross history on Saturday, Speed backed it up by holding off Brian Deegan and teammate Tanner Foust once more on Sunday.
“It’s been great,” Speed said of the back-to-back victories. “Our new stuff is dialed, it’s sorted, and the cars are fast and durable. I see us as a major threat for the championship—and it’s certainly moving forward. I’m so happy, and I feel so lucky to be able to drive this car.”
The victory, which elevated Speed to second in the championship standings, was the record-setting seventh win of his Red Bull GRC career. Three of those wins have come at the Port of Los Angeles, which hosted this weekend’s event. The Manteca, CA-born driver also has a non-points victory to his name at X Games Austin earlier this season.
After extending his championship lead on Saturday despite missing the main event, Ken Block’s advantage dwindled in a major way on Sunday. A contact-related mechanical issue in the main event relegated him to a ninth place finish, slicing his points lead down from 44 points over Sebastian Eriksson to 13 over Speed.
The top seven drivers are now separated by only 64 points heading into the final three races of the season, culminating in November 4’s finale in Las Vegas.
Full results from Red Bull GRC Los Angeles (II) presented by Subaru Tecnica International are as follows:
- Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
- Brian Deegan, #38 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
- Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
- Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Travis Pastrana, #199 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
- Joni Wiman, #31 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
- Ken Block, #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST
- Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Racing Rallycross Ford Fiesta ST
- Austin Dyne, #14 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
- Brian Wong, #89 Rhys Millen Racing Hyundai Veloster
- Sverre Isachsen, #11 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- David Higgins, #75 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Bucky Lasek, #81 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
Incredible photos by Larry Chen